Sunday, September 4, 2016

LABOR DAY A DAY OFF


Sorry, Donnie-Boy. Know you like more attention than I can give you, today. Wish I could. You and your candidacy certainly deserve careful scrutiny ... you, the Zika Virus and the Nuclear Codes, too.

I need a day off. I'm Jewish ... guess you can tell from my references to the Old Testament ... what my people call the Torah. It's a book full of some old thinking about a Judgmental God but loaded, too, with a certain attitude toward thinking about the stranger living in our midst. My people are mandated to do so for a very simply-stated reason:

כי גר הייתם בארץ לא לכם 

For you had been a stranger in a World not for you.

The Torah keeps saying something like that, just as the Scriptures of other religions preach kindness and what my people call שמירת הלשון or "Guarding of the Tongue." I think the Buddhist calls it "Right Language" and my Christian brothers call it the Gospel of Peace ... the message to show kindness even to those who fight with me or disagree with me. I never knew or have forgotten the ancient Hebrew word for "Justified Counterpunching that ends in the Destruction of the Other." I know I sometimes fail in this, myself ... but I try and do try to make the other whole when I offend. I don't know how I can make amends with you and promise to try to do so after you drop out of the race to be something you're not qualified -- as I am not qualified -- to be. 

Any case, the initiation of two of my younger grand-kids is scheduled for today and sidelines me from my Nazi-Schmazi polemics. They're becoming Bnos Mitzvah. The Twins will be called in a service that celebrates another New Moon to read from that Torah scroll, this one brought from Eastern Europe by their Grandfather's Grandfather who inherited it from his Grandfather. They'll talk about what they've read in the Torah ... their Grandfather's Grandfather's Grandfather's Torah. Cool! ... I don't know what else they'll speak about. I was in charge only of the liturgy. We all have our limits and our jobs; that's important to remember. None of us really can do it all!  Then, there will be a quiet gathering ... no Black-Tie ... no Dinner Dance ... no Golden Chalices ... no 200 foot yachts ... just friends  and near-kin of their parents gathering to regale two sweet kids who are entering into the Lore and Ethos of their People ... a small and numerically inconsequential People, at that, that represents but two tenths of a percent of the World's population but who are daily reminded to indulge Kindness as well as Warriorship (חסד וגבורה) in their quotidian dealings with themselves and others.

So, again, Her Drumpf, you'll have to make it on your own, today ... Maybe, both of us will engage a historical initiation rite where children listen to their parents recent an ancient blessing:

Blssed are You, God, King of the Universe, 
who has freed me from the mis-steps of this child.

ברוך אתה הי מלך העולם 
אשר פטרני מעונשו של זה

*****************************************************************************

Vaia con Dios, Baby!
Till, tommorow!



1 comment: